Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Evil Lightsabers

Tuesdays are my day off from work. It is really nice having a day where we are all home and can get errands ran and to-do lists completed. Today was a typical day...well until the end. But it started out with Fintan and me running to the bank and getting the oil changed in our Mini-van, or "the mini" as I like to call it. No one in the general public needs to know I am talking about a van when I mention my "mini." I let the mystery of how we fit our three kids in a mini keep them on their toes. Anyway, then F went down for a nap and C and I ran to the store for some odds and ends. After lunch Susie cut my hair (yes, she cuts my hair and she is pretty good. She is taking appointments if you are interested, but she is overbooked until mid-Summer!). Once F woke up we all piled in the car to visit Pete and Mac's, a recreational resort for pets. We are leaving town next week and needed somewhere for Leo to stay while we are gone. Usually we bring him with us, but this time we are flying, so he has to stay behind. I am totally against boarding kennels that trap dogs in tiny wire cages for days on end, so I was very nervous about finding a place that would give Leo plenty of room. Anyway, this place is really great and they take good care of the dogs. The dogs are kept in "suites" with glass block walls (for extra light) and each one has a bed and blanket. There are no wire cages and the suites vary in size, and price. You can even get some that have a TV (showing Animal Planet of course). They let the dogs out for playtime with other pups 2x day for about 20-30 minutes in this really cool doggie-day-care room. Then they get an afternoon snack! We were very impressed and signed Leo up right away.


We got home, fed the kids dinner and Susie was whipping some some crab stuffed potatoes and fish for us, when C started doing some fancy hand work (aka throwing) with his newly acquired lightsaber. We heard a crash and ran around the corner to see one of the side light windows next to our front door shattered. Not a pretty sight. I am impressed how surprisingly calm Susie and I handled the situation. Though we were both furious with C, it was one of those situations where yelling was not going to change the outcome. We got it cleaned up and taped up with a really nice Price Chopper shopping bag. Thankfully we know a Jack of all traits man and he is going to come over and fix it. I did make C go upstairs and empty out his piggy bank to pay for the new window. What he doesn't know is that his $5+ in change will not begin to cover the window and I am not really going to use it. I am actually going to take it to the bank and deposit it in his account, but I want him to think I am using it to buy the new window. He was actually quite upset over this process, so I think I made my point. He kept promising all night to never-ever throw something again. We'll see if that holds up! After the window drama I took A and C upstairs for haircuts. (Yes I also cut hair, though I don't take appointments...you couldn't afford me!) They look very cute and clean.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy and Susie,

Congratulations on your blog! I'm an avid blog reader and I've bookmarked your page. You guys sound like great parents. Your little guys are lucky.

I'm interested in your adoption. Carrie may have told you that I lived in China and Taiwan when I was growing up. We lived in Soochow - about 50 miles from Shanghai - from the time I was 18 months old until I was three and a half. My sister was born there in 1948. So, I'll have something in common with your boys - a sister born in China.

Best wishes in the adoption process.