Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Happy Truman Day

Apparently today was Truman Day, who knew. I unfortunately found out as I headed down to the the Missouri Secretary of State's Office to have our 171H certified. I found the whole building shut down with no mention anywhere as to why. I came home and called government offices all over the city to see what was going on and none of them mentioned why they were closed. I finally called an office in another city and they had a message saying they were closed in honor of Truman Day. How ridiculous is that? I find that government workers are 1) the most unfriendly of people and 2) hardly overworked (but move at glacier speed), yet they are constantly off work for made-up holidays that no one else seems to even know about. I also found it odd that our bank was open and we got mail today, so apparently the observation of this so called holiday is not mandatory. The frustrating part is that I only had today to get this form notarized, certified and sent off to the Chinese consulate for authentication. So, Susie is going to attempt to get it done tomorrow with the boys in tow, but unfortunately for her it is not a quick process (see previous note on the speed of SoS workers) nor is it a pleasant experience (see note on friendliness of workers at our government office). Hopefully it will get done and we will be finished with this last step!

No comments: